- 1 medium white onion, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2-3 pound FROZEN boneless beef chuck or rump roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 1-2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Aluminum foil
- 2-3 tablespoons flour
- Water as needed
- Separate the onion slices and place half on the bottom of the slow cooker then place the frozen roast on the onions and then place the remaining onions on the top of the roast. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chuck roast then turn the slow cooker onto high.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, and water, if needed. Cover and cook for an additional 1-2 hours, or until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Remove carrots, potatoes, and onions and place in separate bowls.
- Remove the roast and place on a sheet of aluminum foil and wrap the entire roast with the foil and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Pour the juice into a pan over medium-high heat bring the liquid to a boil. Remove about ¼ cup of the liquid into a bowl and add the flour. Using a fork whisk until the lumps have been removed. Using a whisk slowly add the flour mixture back to the liquid and stir until the liquid thickens.
- Serve, using the gravy for the vegetables, and roast.
Tomorrow: December is Quince and Watermelon Month. Tomorrow’s recipe will include Quince.