- 1 tablespoon plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pound flank steak, fat trimmed, and cut into 2 inch strips with the grain, ten cut each strip against the grain into ¼ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
- 1 tablespoon water plus ⅓ cup water
- 1 ½ teaspoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, and cut into ¼ inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, and cut into ¼ inch strips
- 4 green onions, white parts diced, green parts cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cups cooked rice
- In a large bowl add 1 tablespoon soy sauce, baking soda, and beef. Toss, and let marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon water and 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch. Using a fork mix together then add to the beef after it has sat for 5-10 minutes. Allow to sit 20 additional minutes then drain the mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet, over high heat, add 3 tablespoons olive oil. When the oil is hot add ⅓ to half of the beef and cook, stirring every minute until the beef is starting to brown on all sides. Remove the beef from the skillet and place in a large bowl and repeat with the remaining beef. NOTE: You may need to add additional olive oil if needed.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and add 1 tablespoon olive oil, bell peppers, and white parts of the green onions. Cook until the bell peppers are starting brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- In a medium-sized bowl add ⅓ cup water, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, brown sugar, oyster sauce, and pepper. Whisk together. When garlic and ginger have cooked for 1 minute turn up the heat to high and add the sauce.
- Stir constantly until the sauce has thickened, 30-60 seconds. Serve over rice.
Tomorrow: November is Spinach and Squash Month. Tomorrow’s recipe will include both.