- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon plus ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 pound of skirt or round steak, cut crosswise into 3-4 inch pieces
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- Preheat grill on high for 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl add the salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and sugar. Using a fork mix together.
- Lay the steak pieces on a cooking sheet and pat dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle the salt mixture over the pieces, turning once.
- Turn off the grill and clean the grate with a steel brush. Using a paper towel rub 3 tablespoons of olive oil on the grate. Turn the grill back on high.
- Using tongs place the steak pieces crosswise on the grate. Cover and brown for 3-4 minutes. Turn and cook for an additional 2-4 minutes until the meat is 125 degrees.
- Transfer to a 9 by 13 pan. Using a sharp fork poke all over the steak pieces.
- In a bowl combine the soy sauce, honey, yellow mustard, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Using a fork mix together and pour over the steak then cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Let the steaks rest for 5 minutes. Remove the steak and place on a cutting board and slice into ¼-½ inch pieces against the grain. Pour the liquid into a gravy tureen and serve.
Tomorrow is National French Toast Day