NOTE: My family will premake all of the dry ingredients and place them in a zipper bag and then just add the liquids then mix and serve
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered buttermilk*
- 2 cups warm water*
- 4 eggs, separated into yolks and whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick of butter (½ cup)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cooking spray
- Maple syrup
*You can replace the powdered buttermilk and water with 2 cups of buttermilk.
- In a large bowl add the powdered buttermilk, water, egg yolks, vanilla, and butter. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well and using a hand mixer slowly add to the buttermilk mixture.
- In a medium bowl add the egg whites and whip until they form a “soft peak”.
- Pour the egg whites into the large bowl and using a rubber spatula fold the egg whites into the mixture.
- Preheat a Belgian waffle maker and spray with cooking spray. In batches, that don’t overflow the waffle maker, cook the batter until the waffle is done.
- Serve with maple syrup and jelly/jam as desired.