- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large or 3 medium russet potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into ½ inch strips
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
- Cooked rice to serve
#recipe, #NationalFoodOfTheDay, #MainCourseOfTheDay, #CurryChicken, #NationalCurriedChickenDay
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt and the potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are done, about 10-15 minutes. Drain and set the potatoes aside.
- Meanwhile, place the chicken in a large bowl and while tossing the chicken sprinkle the salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon curry powder.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add as much chicken as the skillet will hold and you can still turn the chicken. Brown on all sides and set aside. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add 1 teaspoon olive oil and the onion. Cook until the onion is starting to become translucent, about 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 additional minute.
- In a bowl add the chicken broth and whisk in the cornstarch.
- Turn the skilled back to medium-high heat and add the chicken broth to the onion mixture. Add the coconut milk and chicken and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce the heat to medium and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the potatoes and cook until the chicken is done about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with rice
Tomorrow: January is National Slow Cooking Month. The ingredients for tomorrow’s recipe are listed below:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained
- 1 24 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni pasta
- 1 cup plus 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped