- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds pork ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1-2 quince, peeled, cut into 6 pieces and seeded (NOTE: If you can’t find quince you can substitute pears)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ inch ginger, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup plus 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cups instant rice
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the olive oil and pork ribs. Brown, turning as needed, then place the pork in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the butter. When melted add the green onions and quince. Stir occasionally for 8 minutes. Add the brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and mix together. After 1 minute remove from heat and using a slotted spoon add all of the solids to the slow cooker. Reserve the butter.
- Add the chicken stock and 1 cup water to the slow cooker and turn on low. Cook for 3 hours.
- In the skillet with the reserved butter add 2 cups water over high heat. When it boils add the instant rice and remove from heat and cover. Cook until the rice is the consistency you like.
- Stir all of the ingredients in the slow cooker together and then serve over rice.
Tomorrow is National Pastry Day. Tomorrow’s recipe will use pastry dough.