- 2-3 pound FROZEN boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup red wine, optional, substitute water if not used
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 14-oz can beef broth
- 1 teaspoon horseradish mustard
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 1-2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons flour
- Place frozen roast in the slow cooker on high. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chuck roast.
- In a frying pan over medium heat add the olive oil. When the oil is hot add the onion. Cook for 5-8 minutes, until the onion starts to be translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Turn up to medium-high heat add the red wine, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, and beef broth. Bring to a simmer and then add to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, and water, if needed. Cover and cook for an additional 1 hour, or until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Remove carrots and potatoes and place in a bowl. Then remove the roast and shred with forks.
- Remove the bay leaf and strain the liquid, if desired. In a pan over medium-high heat bring the liquid to a boil. Remove about ¼ cup of the liquid into a bowl and add the flour. Using a fork whisk until the lumps have been removed. Using a whisk slowly add the flour mixture back to the liquid and stir until the liquid thickens.
- Serve, using the gravy for the vegetables, and roast.
Tomorrow: November is National Vegan Month. Tomorrow’s recipe will be vegan.