- 2 quarts half-and-half
- 3 slices bacon
- ½ stick butter
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups red potatoes, diced
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon thyme
- 2 6.5 ounce cans minced clams with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup flour plus additional if needed
- Parsley, optional
#recipe, #NationalFoodOfTheDay, #MainCourseOfTheDay, #NewEnglandClamChowder, #NewEnglandClamChowderDay
- In a small pan over low heat add the half-and-half. Slowly turn the heat to medium-high.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat cook the bacon until the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon and save for another recipe.
- Add the butter, celery, onion, and red potatoes. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 5-8 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the solids and place in a large stock pot. Add the heated half-and-half, white pepper, black pepper, thyme, clams, and bay leaf. Turn the heat to medium-high.
- Add the flour to the large skillet and whisk until mixed. Add to the large stock pot
- When the chowder thickens, about 2-3 minutes, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 30-45 minutes. NOTE: If the chowder doesn’t thicken remove some of the liquid and add a tablespoon of flour and whisk and add back, repeat if necessary.
- Serve with parsley, if used.
January is National Slow Cooking Month. Ingredients for tomorrow’s recipe are below:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 15.5-ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cup cheddar cheese
- Cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced