- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ inch slice of yellow onion
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 pound cooked, sliced beef pastrami
- 4 slices plus 4 slices rye bread
- 8 slices havarti cheese
- 8 dill pickle slices (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Butter for grilling
#recipe, #NationalFoodOfTheDay, #MainCourseOfTheDay, #HotPastramiSandwich, #NationalHotPastramiSandwichDay
- In a medium skillet over medium heat add the olive oil and butter. When the butter melts add the onion and cook until the onion is browned, turning as necessary.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat add the beef broth and pastrami. Simmer until the pastrami is hot, about 2-4 minutes. Drain off the broth.
- Place 4 slices of rye bread on a work surface and place ¼ of the pastrami on each slice. Put 2 slices of cheese on top of the pastrami then the browned onion and top with 2 pickle slices.
- Spread the Dijon mustard on 4 slices of rye bread and place mustard side down on the pickles.
- Spread the outsides of the sandwich with butter and place in a preheated waffle iron. Cook until the cheese melts and the crust is browned. Repeat as necessary.
Tomorrow: January is National Soup Month. Ingredients for tomorrow’s recipe are listed below:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- ½ cup zucchini, chopped
- ½ green beans, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 1 15 ounce can white beans, drained
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup elbow pasta
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, diced