- 1 cup dried apricots
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Vegetable oil
#recipe, #NationalFoodOfTheDay, #ApricotNutBread, #NationalApricotDay
- Wash the apricots and dry with an absorbent paper towel. Chop the apricots and put into a medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle the baking soda over the apricots. Add the boiling water and let it sit until the water is cool.
- In a separate bowl cream the shortening then add the sugar and egg. When the apricots and water are cool add to the shortening, including the water.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a separate bowl sift together 3 times the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the nuts and apricot mixture and stir just enough to blend (mixture will be lumpy). Pour into an oiled loaf pan and allow to stand 15 to 20 minutes at room temperature before placing in the oven.
- Bake until done, about 1 ¼ hours. If top browns too rapidly put some foil on top the last 20 minutes.
NOTE: Best to make a day in advance to get the best flavor. This bread freezes very well!
Author: Barbara L. & Mary H.