- 1 ham bone with approximately 1 pound of ham still on the bone, or 1 pound of thick sliced ham
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound great northern beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- ½ pound carrots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large stockpot over low heat place the ham bone, or sliced ham and cover with water. Simmer for 4-6 hours. Add water if needed to keep the ham covered.
- In another large pot over medium-high heat place the salt, great northern beans. Cover with water plus 3 inches above the beans. When the water starts to simmer reduce to low and cook for 2-6 hours.
- When the ham is done remove from the heat and remove the ham. Cut the ham off of the bone, if necessary, and cut the ham into ¼ inch pieces. Reserve 10 cups of the water.
- Place the reserved water and ham pieces into a stock pot and over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil.
- In a large pan over medium heat add the olive oil, onion, and carrots. Cook until the onion starts to be translucent, about 5-8 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute. Remove from the heat. Add to the stock pot with the ham.
- Add the pepper to the stock pot and reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
Tomorrow is National Tempura Day. The ingredients for tomorrow’s recipe are below:
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 pounds chicken wings or 2 pounds of jumbo shrimp
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup vodka
- ½ cup seltzer water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup mirin, if available, or rice wine vinegar
- ½ inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 green onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil