- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless chuck or rump roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 inch of ginger, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef stalk
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 2 pears, cut into 4 wedges and seeds removed
- 2 bay leaves
#recipe, #NationalFoodOfTheDay, #FirstDayOfChristmas, #PartridgeInAPearTree, #MainCourseOfTheDay
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, large enough to hold all of the roast cubes, mix the flour, salt, and pepper together.
- In a large pan, over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- While the oil is getting hot toss the roast in the flour mixture until it is coated evenly.
- In batches add the roast and brown until each side is browned, about 2-4 minutes then using tongs remove the beef and set aside. Repeat until all of the roast has been browned. NOTE: Add additional olive oil if needed.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon olive oil, if needed. Add the onion and celery and cook until the onion starts to get translucent about 5-8 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for an additional 1 minutes. Add the red wine, beef stalk, chocolate, and pears. Using a wooden spoon scrape the bottom of the pan to get the pieces on the bottom into the mixture.
- In a large casserole dish or dutch oven cooker, add the roast, the onion mixture, and bay leaves. Cover and cook for 3 hours
- Remove the beef and pears and cover with aluminum foil. Remove the bay leaf and pour the mixture into a stock pot over medium-high heat. Reduce the sauce by about ½. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve by placing the roast and 2 pear wedges into 4 bowls and then ladle the reduced liquid into the bowls.
Tomorrow is the Second Day of Christmas, Two Turtle Doves. Ingredients for tomorrow’s recipe are listed below:
- 1 stick butter butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks including leaf, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomato
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 ounce can plus 1 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can beef broth
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce, optional
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup flour
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped