- 1 suckling pig (15-20 pounds)
- 1 cup plus 1 cup sea salt
- 10 cloves garlic, whole
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 6 inches of ginger, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 apples, quartered and seeds removed
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 cups white wine
- Aluminum foil
#recipe, #NationalFoodOfTheDay, #NationalRoastSucklingPigDay, #December18
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash the pig inside and out and dry with paper towels.
- In a large roasting pan, with sides that are at least 2 inches high, place the pig. Rub the inside with 1 cup sea salt then put the garlic, rosemary, thyme springs, ginger, and apples inside. Sew the stomach closed.
- In a medium bowl add the olive oil, 1 cup sea salt, pepper, and dried thyme. Rub the oil mixture all of the outside of the pig. Pour the wine into the pan. Cover the ears with aluminum foil.
- Put the roasting pan in the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for 4 hours, turning the pig every 30-45 minutes, until the thickest part of the shoulder and rear reach 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Tomorrow: December is Tomato and Winter Squash Month. Below is a list of the ingredients you will need:
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 medium green onions, chopped into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into 1 ½ inch florets
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved