- 2 ½ sticks butter, cut into pieces plus additional for the pan
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup stout or dark lager beer
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup
- 3 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla
- Chocolate syrup for topping
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Butter the sides and bottom of a 9-inch springform pan then line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Put the chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl and cook for 5-10 seconds at a time then stir. Repeat until it melts.
- Put a large pan ⅓ full of water on the stove over medium-high heat. Put the eggs, sugar, and salt in a stand mixing bowl then put the bowl in the hot water. Using a hand mixer mix until the mixture is warmed, about 1-2 minutes. Put the mixing bowl back into the mixer and whisk on medium until the mixture has tripled in volume, about 4-5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, over medium-high heat add the beer. Bring to a boil and then remove then add the beer, vanilla, and chocolate to the mixer. Whisk for an additional 2 minutes then slowly add the butter and continue mixing until it is mixed.
- Pour into the springform pan and bake for 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure it is done.
- Cool on a rack for 1 hour then run a plastic knife around the edge then remove the ring.
- Put a large pan ⅓ full of water on the stove over medium-high heat. Put the sugar, egg whites, cream of tartar, cocoa powder, salt and water in a mixing bowl that is heatproof. Place the bowl in the water and using a hand mixer mix together. NOTE: Start at a low speed and slowly increase to high when the ingredients have been incorporated. Beat until soft peaks can be formed, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and beat until stiff peaks can be formed. Fold in the vanilla.
- Remove the bottom of the springform pan and place cake on a serving dish. Spread the meringue on the cake and top with cocoa powder that has been put into a sifter and gently shaken or chocolate syrup.