- 8 ounce dried spaghetti pasta
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- ½ cup shallots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, adjust to taste
- 1 4 ounce package sardines in olive oil, drained
- 4 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- In a large stock pot bring 3 quarts water to boil. Add the spaghetti and 1 tablespoon salt. Cook until the pasta is the way you like it. Reserve 1 cup of the spaghetti water and rinse the spaghetti
- In a large pan over medium heat add the olive oil and butter. When the butter melts add the shallots and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the shallots are tender. Add the red pepper flakes, sardines, and capers. Saute for 2 minutes. Remove the sardines and cut into small pieces.
- Return the sardines and saute until they turn a golden brown. Add the lemon juice, cooked spaghetti and parsley. Toss. If the pasta is too dry slowly add the pasta water 1 teaspoon at a time.
Tomorrow: November is Gluten-Free Diet Awareness Month. Tomorrow’s recipe will be gluten-free.