- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ⅓ cup crystallized ginger, minced
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 6 tablespoons dark rum
- Zest of 1 lemon
- In a mixing bowl add the butter, warmed to room temperature, brown sugar, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until mixed, about 1-2 minutes. Add the egg and mix on low for 30 seconds then add the molasses and combine. In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg, and salt. While the mixer is on low, slowly add the flour mixture. Once combined, add the raisins and crystallized ginger and mix them in by hand.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a lightly floured surface place the dough and form it into a disk, then cut in half. Roll each half into a 12 inch long log. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the other half and place 3 inches apart on the parchment paper from the first log. Bake for 20 minutes, the logs will be soft in the center.
- Mix the confectioner’s sugar with rum, starting with 5 tablespoons and slowly adding more as needed. Let the logs cool for 5 minutes then drizzle the glaze over them. Top with lemon zest.
- When cooled cut into 1 inch wide bars.