- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Egg noodles (Optional)
- In a large stock pot bring 4 quarts water to a boil. Add the chicken and cook until the chicken breasts are done in the center, about 30-45 minutes. In a large saucepan over medium heat add the olive oil and butter. When the butter has melted add the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook for another 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- If using the egg noodles, cook 1 cup dry noodles in a large stock pot, using the instructions on the package.
- Remove the chicken from the stock pot and dice into ½ – 1-inch pieces. Using a colander drain the water the chicken was in and reserve 4 cups.
- Add the reserved chicken water, chicken, onion mixture, and egg noodles, if used, to a large stockpot. Bring to a boil and remove from heat and serve.
Tomorrow: November is Spinach and Squash Month. Tomorrow’s recipe will include both.