- 1 pound ground beef*
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 2 bags corn tortilla chips
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Black olives, chopped
- 1-2 cups fresh Pico de Gallo Salsa (Recipe here)
- 1-2 cups guacamole (Recipe here)
- *NOTE: This can be vegetarian by omitting the ground beef and using 1 tablespoon olive oil and adding a 2nd can of beans.
- In a saucepan over medium heat cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink. Remove the ground beef from the pan and drain off all by 1 tablespoon of the grease.
- Add the onion and salt to the pan and cook until the onion is starting to be translucent about 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, black beans, and ground beef. Stir and remove from heat when the beans are heated through.
- Place tortilla chips on a cookie sheet and top with cheese. Place in a toaster oven or regular oven and broil until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with the ground beef mixture, sour cream, black olives, pico de gallo salsa, and guacamole.
Tomorrow: November is Gluten-Free Diet Awareness Month. Tomorrow’s recipe will be Gluten-Free.